All major University gatherings have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Per District of Columbia Re-Open DC Guidelines and CDC recommendations:
- Limit group size, with social distancing protocols in place, pursuant to DC’s guidance of no more than 10, 50, or 250 people during Phases 1, 2 or 3, respectively.
- Pursue virtual group events, gatherings, or meetings, if possible, in lieu of in-person, and promote social distancing of at least 6 feet between people if events are held.
- Large gatherings, such as assemblies and in-person social events, must be canceled in consideration of social distancing requirements and DC’s guidance noted above.
- In-door recreation areas and theater venues, including Cramton Auditorium must stay closed until Phase 2 with an overall limit of 50 people and 250 people in Phases 2 and 3, respectively, maintaining social distancing. Details for chapel services will be shared with the University at a later date.
- The University’s swimming pool must remain closed until Phase 3, subject to capacity and staffing limitations. Swimming courses will not be offered this fall. Details will be shared with students via the Office of the Registrar.
The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics is working closely with partners at the NCAA and MEAC conference in its planning. Their guidelines will be critical in decision- making, and we will share updates as guidance from these organizations is received.
Team-specific health and safety plans have been developed. It is anticipated that athletes participating in spring sports would only engage in strength and conditioning activities, not full practices.
Consistent with social distancing, we have temporarily paused live events on campus. Gatherings of more than 50 people are not permitted in DC during Phase 2 of the District’s re-opening.
Our current planning assumes gathering limits will continue to be in effect through the fall semester. A draft list of events and activities, and current guidance are in the following tables.